Saturday, December 27, 2014

Happy Kwanza From Jesus?

Kujichagulia (Self-determination) "To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves instead of being defined, named, created for and spoken for by others.”

In the Bible, Paul found a determination rooted in more than His own self-definition.

“For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.”  1 Cor 2:2

Self determination finds purpose in who we are in Jesus Christ.  He gives reason for our existence and defines us as His children.  I do not therefore need any man to define me, create for me, or name me, I know who I am because of whose I am.  That alone drives me to be the best because I am from and exist as a product of the Best.

As a people (African/American) we too often receive validation from the world around us.  We have no culture but the one that we have been allowed to have.  Our identity has been shaped and reshaped so many times.  Defining ourselves will NOT counter how we have been defined by others for centuries.  We see all to well what that can do since we define of ourselves so differently.  There needs to be a standard that is greater than our ancestors, we need a self-determination rooted in the person of Jesus Christ and His great sacrifice.  As a man you can’t define me, I can’t define me, I need something that is greater than me to define me, move me and create in me.  We need the one who created us black to define our blackness within the context of His will for us.  Thus We need desperately, Him.  

Tomorrow, we look at principle 3 from the Nguzo Saba of the Kwanza Holiday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment